MPs owe Parliament—and the public—the truth
Add your name to fix our broken system
As our elected representatives, MPs owe us the truth. And yet, we have a political system that operates as if honesty doesn’t matter.
There is a formal process for correcting the official record in Parliament. Most MPs aren’t allowed to use it. Even if they wanted to, they wouldn’t be able to put right their false or misleading claims.
And those who can correct themselves? Government ministers, our most powerful elected representatives, too often choose not to.
When our politicians don’t correct their mistakes, everybody loses. The public’s trust is undermined and bad information can spread further, with consequences that affect all of us.
MPs were chosen to lead, not mislead us. A functioning democracy depends on good information. We need your help to make sure that MPs finally give us the truth, and own up when they get their facts wrong.
MPs need to agree new rules for Parliament that make it easy to correct mistakes—and sanction those who don’t.
Will you add your name to ensure that your MP stands up for honesty?
46,218 people have taken a stand with us
- 21 hours ago Edward C, Test Valley
- 20 hours ago Celia S, Somerset
- 16 hours ago Bobby B, Vale of White Horse
- 14 hours ago Grant G, Warwick
- 13 hours ago Susan F, Colchester
- 9 hours ago Allan R, Horsham
- An hour ago Joseph M, East Hertfordshire
- An hour ago Anthony M, Lewisham
- 40 minutes ago John M, Horsham
- 28 minutes ago Birgit K, Birmingham